Can’t Sleep – Eat a Banana

April 26, 2007 by in Nutrition with 40 Comments

I have noticed lately that there are certain days when I feel like I have taken a sleeping pill so I kept a food diary to see if there is a certain food that I always consume on those days. Much to my surprise there is, Bananas. To quote www.realage.com ”they’re practically a pill in a peel”. Every tasty bite contains melatonin and serotonin as well as the muscle relaxant magnesium.

The next time you have trouble sleeping peel and eat a banana rather than reaching for a sleeping pill.

Want to read more?

Click here to find out about four other great foods that help you sleep.

Click here to find out the truth about bananas and weight gain.

Category: Nutrition

Comments (40)

Trackback URL | Comments RSS Feed

1. Keith trinh says:

I found out about this three weeks a go and had tried to eat a banana 1 hour before sleep and it works its magic. Only thing I do not know is whether eating before go to sleep will have any side effect.

2. Brendon says:

Hi,
    Well it’s 3.31 AM where I am right now and my body clock is totally out of wack, I usually go to sleep now after having my smoothie, always with two banana’s in it.
    Well, I’m going to stay awake until 9 PM tonight and then eat a a banana and see if it works its magic then.

3. [...] Can 39 t Sleep Eat a Banana Health and Fitness Sleuth Posted by root 1 hour 6 minutes ago (http://www.hfsleuth.com) Can 39 t sleep eat a banana by patricia setzer on april 26 2007 in nutrition i have noticed lately that there are certain days when leave a comment name email will not be published website powered by wordpress blog design Discuss  |  Bury |  News | Can 39 t Sleep Eat a Banana Health and Fitness Sleuth [...]

4. Lara DeThomas says:

My son has suffered from night terrors for 3 years (since he was 10 months old). I have started having him eat one banana within one hour of bedtime and on the nights that I do this he does not have a night terror. My son actually had an EEG on his brain performed because his night terrors were so severe that two neurologists and four MDs thought that they may be seizures, luckily they were not, but they were determined to be night terrors. My son’s case was the most severe they had seen and said if I would like a sleeping medication one could be prescribed. The idea of having a four year old on addictive drugs was not an option for me. I have researched bananas and the effect they have on sleep and decided to try it myself. IT WORKS!!! He had the worst case 7 doctors had seen and it works for his sleep terrors. If you have a child suffering from terrors you must give this a try. It is natural and a miracle. Give it a few days. It may happen the first night or take a few days to “build up” in the system. ONE HOUR BEFORE BED EVERY NIGHT!

Sincerely,
    A no longer suffering mom!

• This is great, thanks for sharing with me

• Fernanda says:

Oh my goodness. My son too suffers from night terrors. I just by chance gave him a banana one day and noticed he did not have a terror. I continued this for a week or so and the night terrors stopped. He now gets them once in a while and when it happens, the next day a banana and poof, no terror. It’s incredible. I can’t believe it. I do however need to give it to him for a while for it to stop in total.
      I’ll take it over medecines anyday. Wow!

5. sierra1809 says:

I also read that bananas can help you sleep so after years of suffering insomnia I gave it a try. It actually works. I ate 1 small banana about 1 hr before settling down to sleep. I was soon relaxed & drifted off with no trouble.Slept better than I have done for a long time & felt better when I woke. I did this for a wk then didn’t have a nightly banana for 2 or 3 days…right away I noticed the difference. I couldn’t settle right from the 1st night of not eatin a banana. Insomnia was back & i felt washed out the next morning. Back to the nightly banana for me. Better than any sleeping pill.

6. Didi says:

After laying in bed for 3 hrs without being to sleep, I decided to give a banana a try. Lets see if it works for me. Will report how it went on a later post.

7. Lara DeThomas says:

Back in April I commented on this site regarding how bananas have assisted with my son’s severe nightly terrors. Although, bananas and Smart Water have added in lessening the episodes, they have in no way cured them entirely. I believe my son may suffer from some form or electrolyte imbalance that needs further investigation. I have shared this information with doctors who work in the field of sleep medicine in hopes that the assistance of bananas may in fact aid in the relief of night terrors.

Sincerely,
    Still a suffering mom!

8. Patricia says:

Thank you for the update,please keep me informed on your sons progress.

Patricia

9. I sympathise with you.

http://ladiessuitsforwork.co.tv/ – ladiessuits for work

10. WebFile says:

These are fairly useful suggestions and is also with out a question extremely useful advice.

11. Bert says:

Unquestionably consider that which you stated. Your favorite justification seemed to be at the internet the easiest thing to take into accout of. I say to you, I definitely get irked at the same time as people consider worries that they just do not recognise about. You managed to hit the nail upon the highest as smartly as outlined out the whole thing without having side-effects , other people can take a signal. Will probably be back to get more. Thanks!

12. Can I just say what a relief to seek out someone who essentially knows what theyre talking about on the net. You definitely know how to bring an issue to light and make it critical. Additional people need to read this and understand this side of the story. I cant believe youre not much more popular because you definitely have the gift.

• Tiffiny says:

This really doea work, i figured it out on my own do to the fact that my 21 month old daughter has never really been a good sleeper. I realized a few months back that the nights that she would eat a banana before bed, she would sleep the entire night. I just decided tonight to do some research and i’m glad i was right. The only problem is trying to get her to eat a banana every night. LOL I will have to try it another for, maybe smoothies or something else. If you have any suggestions on how to get her to eat a banana every night, i’m all ears. Thank you

13. MARY says:

I HAVE MANY HEALTH PROBLEMS THE MAIN ONES BEING TIA(MINI) STROKES, HYPERTESION AND SLEEP APNEA. I MYSELF, AN ADULT CAN TRULY ATTEST TO THE BANANA BEFORE BED AT NIGHT. I SLEEP A CPAP MACHINE, I HAVE SOME MEDS THAT ARE SUPPOSE TO RELAX ME AT NIGHT TO HELP ME SLEEP. WELL GUESS WHAT. I STOP TAKING THE RELAXATION TABLET AND EAT A LARGE BANANA AROUND 9:30PM – 10:00PM. I CANHONESTLY AND TRULY TELL YOU THAT WHEN I GET THE CPAP ON AND TURN THE LIGHTS OFF, I GIVE MYSELF 15 MINUTES – WHICH I NEVER GET TO BECAUSE I AM SO SLEEPY TO THE POINT OF STRUGGLING TO GET MY CPAP. I WAKE UP IN THE MORNING AROUND 9ISH AND BE VERY FRESH AND RESTED. I AM SPEAKING CLEARLY FROM THE FACTS OF MY LIFE. I TELL YOU THERE IS NOTHING BETTER THAN A GOOD NIGHTS SLEEP WHEN YOU DON’T KNOW IF YOU ARE GOING TO HAVE A TIAMINI)STROKE IN THE MIDDLE OF THE NIGHT. SO I WOULD STRONGLY SUGGEST THE HARD TO SLEEP INDIVIDUAL TO TRY THE BANANA BEFORE BED.

• Susan says:

hey there and thank you for your information – I have carneitly picked up something new from right here. I did however expertise some technical points using this website, as I experienced to reload the website many times previous to I could get it to load properly. I had been wondering if your hosting is OK? Not that I’m complaining, but slow loading instances times will very frequently affect your placement in google and can damage your high quality score if ads and marketing with Adwords. Well I’m adding this RSS to my email and can look out for much more of your respective exciting content. Ensure that you update this again soon..

14. Noel says:

I had a salty meal for dinner and got an impulse to eat half a banana for the potassium offset to the sodium. I was very pleasantly surprised with the best night’s sleep I’ve had in a very long time. No placebo here since I didn’t know about this until I looked it up on Internet.

15. kawalpreet says:

i too suffer from insomnia i have started eating one banana with cumin powder and now i sleep properly but someone plz guide me whether eating banana at night will cause weight gain

• Patricia says:

Eating a banana at night will not cause you to gain weight. Weight gain is a result of consuming more calories than you need. Your body will store the extra calories as fat.

• Andrew Fischer says:

Bananas are loaded with sugar and are considered high glycemic. Hormones and blood sugar regulation are the primary cause of weight gain, not over consumption of calories. So eating bananas prior to bed may well cause weight gain in some sensitive people.

16. kawalpreet says:

thanks mam but i want to know one thing as many people say that eating at night cause you weight gain is it true

17. Barbara says:

If I wake up in the middle of the night I always have a banana and within 15 minutes I am back to sleep. Somenight I wake up then feel hungry so can’t go back to sleep so eating a banana is the perfect option!

18. [...] who are sensitive to sugar, you can and should eat fruit … including bananas! They can even help you sleep.    [...]

19. There is certainly a lot to learn about this
    issue. I really like all the points you made.

20. Sandra Meyers says:

Sleeping pills should be taken before taking direction of a physician as taking it without prescription may produce side effects. Sleeping tablets should not be taken as overdose since access dose of the medication may be harmful to you. While taking any recreational treatment sleeping drug should be avoided. If you are suffering from any type of heart disease or from any general illness then avoid the intake of the medication. Avoid the intake of alcohol during the medication since it may increase effects of alcohol. Beside form this medication is effective if all instructions are followed by the user. In addition to get positive results users should not avoid any of these instructions..

Most recent brief article on our personal web portal
    <http://www.foodsupplementcenter.com/sucralose-side-effects/

• Patricia says:

Sleeping pills are dangerous even when taken as directed. I would think eating a banana rather,than putting a chemical in your body, would be a much better choice.

21. aruna says:

hi… I’m having asthma! will there be any side effect if I eat banana? My mum told me not to eat them :( Should i listen or not?

• Patricia says:

You should listen to your mom, bananas can cause asthma attacks.

• Dee says:

Bananas Vs. Asthma
        Released: 9/2/2011 8:00 AM EDT
        Source Newsroom: Dole Nutrition Institute

Newswise — Going bananas may help kids breathe easier. Children who ate just one banana a day had a 34% less chance of developing asthmatic symptoms, according to new British research.

22. Ann says:

I usually wake up from my sound sleep on an average about 3 to 5 times a night. Last night I was awaken with leg cramps from arthritis. Long story short I came across this site trying to find a fast way to go back to sleep. Well I had some fresh bananas I ate one and turned in the tv. Twenty minutes later I was back in bed fell right back into my sleep it was wonderful I felt like I had taken something much stronger than a banana. Muscles had also relaxed
    I did not sleep all night but when I didwake up I felt so relaxed it was easy to just fall back into a sound sleep. I like how I feel this morning well rested. Who knew bananas could make one feel this way.
    Yes I’ve gone bananas!!! Thank you

23. 5HTP says:

Asking questions are in fact fastidious thing if you are not understanding anything totally, but this article provides fastidious understanding even.

24. Thankfulness to my father who told me concerning this website, this
    web site is truly remarkable.

25. My relatives always say that I am killing my
    time here at web, but I know I am getting knowledge every
    day by reading thes nice articles or reviews.